Survey: Majority Of Idahoans Think Coronavirus Is At Least Partially Under Control

Nov 5, 2020

The coronavirus pandemic has seeped into just about every facet of life, including Tuesday’s election, which a majority of Idaho voters think the country is handling it just fine.

In the last week leading up to the election, the Associated Press talked to tens of thousands of people across the country, including 650 in Idaho.

When asked how the U.S. has handled the pandemic, 54% of those surveyed in Idaho said it was somewhat, mostly or completely under control. The remaining 46% of voters said it wasn't under control at all.

At least 233,000 Americans have died so far, more than the number of those who died from the flu in the past six seasons combined, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In Idaho, 664 people have died due to the coronavirus as of Wednesday and the number of positive cases is the worst it’s ever been.

But voters here are clear: 40% say the economy is the top issue facing the country today, despite the majority considering it to be in excellent or good shape. 30% ranked the pandemic as the number one issue in America.

Following those two, health care, abortion and climate change all earned single digits as the top concerns among Idahoans.

Follow James Dawson on Twitter @RadioDawson for more local news.

Copyright 2020 Boise State Public Radio

Member support is what makes local COVID-19 reporting possible. Support this coverage here.