On The Monday, July 9, 2018 Edition Of Idaho Matters:
- Tariff wars impacting Idaho manufacturing.
- A state representative visits a women's prison
- A Starfleet admiral lands in Boise
- President Trump's trade war over tariffs and NAFTA provisions has created headaches for numerous sectors of the American economy. Idaho's number one exports to China are manufactured goods and electronic components and we'll look at how these trade policies are impacting Idaho exports and how tariffs are affecting raw material prices for manufacturers.
- The State of Idaho is facing a potentially crippling overcrowded prison population and officials are scrambling for ways to alleviate it. A suggestion to house inmates at National Guard barracks was shot down by Governor Otter. A $500 million expansion project is in discussion. In the meantime, many inamtes are being shipped out of state under contracts to house and feed them elsewhere. State representative Melissa Wintrow (D-19) recently visited the Pocatello Women’s Correctional Center and left with some ideas about how to fix the state's corrections system. She'll join Idaho Matters to share some of those ideas.
- The Wizard World Comic Con visits Boise this weekend with the Golden Goose of sci-fi guests: William Shatner, aka Captain James T. Kirk (and LAPD patrol officer TJ Hooker, Boston criminal defense attorney Denny Crane and eponymous 911 phone center presenter.) "The Shat" joins Idaho Matters to talk about a career in front of the camera and meeting his fans throughout the country.