On The Thursday, August 23, 2018 Edition Of Idaho Matters
- Southern Idaho sees a slight uptick in the unemployment rate.
- Idaho Matters investigates head injuries in childhood sports.
- A filmmaker examines the influence of "dark money" in politics.
- Inc. magazine recognizes the success of a New Plymouth business.
- The Idaho Department of Labor released numbers indicating a slight increase in unemployment claims in Southern Idaho, many of those in the manufacturing sector. Idaho Matters looks at the numbers to determine if this is a growing trend for Idaho manufacturers or if the one-tenth percent increase is just a minor blip.
- As youth sports leagues become increasingly competitive, so too does the intensity of the athlete. Most athletes learn to live through injuries, but concussions can prove to be dangerous, especially for younger participants. Idaho Matters discusses the dangers of concussions and head injuries for youths with Saint Alphonsus sports medicine specialist Dr. Derek Kunz.
- In 2010, the Supreme Court ruling in favor of the conservative organization Citizens United allowed American corporations to contribute unlimited funds to political campaigns, claiming the donations constitute free speech. Since then, political campaigns on both sides of the aisle have been flooded with huge amounts of donations - funds whose contributors can remain anonymous according to federal campaign law. Filmmaker Kimberly Reed goes to Montana to examine the effect of this ruling in local politics in the new film, Dark Money. Reed joins Idaho Matters to describe what she's found and how Dark Money captures the lasting effects of the Citizens United ruling.
- Cheeky's retails their brand of western wear for women on their website and in multiple brick-and-mortar stores. The company, which operates out of New Plymouth, has enjoyed explosive growth in recent years - enough so that Inc. magazine recognized them as one of the 5,000 fastest growing private companies in the country. Idaho Matters speaks with the founder of Cheeky's about the ingredients for a successful business.